☆Call for Artists!! Accepting applications for “Japan Day Art Contest” ☆
In addition to the delightful news that Mr. Hiroshi Senju joins us as a juror and Nikon Americas Inc will provide Digital Cameras for the Winner and Honorable Mentions, Japan Day is thrilled to announce that the Winner of the art contest will also receive a pair of round-trip Coach Class tickets to Japan, graciously provided by Delta Air Lines.
In response to this exciting news, Japan Day will extend the contest deadline till Sunday, March 10th, 2013 !!
Artist HIROSHI SENJU joins “Japan Day – Art Contest” Jury!
Japan Day is delighted to announce that Mr. Hiroshi Senju, an internationally recognized artist and the president of Kyoto University of Art and Design, is now joining us as a juror for the Japan Day – Art Contest!!
We have received a message from Mr.Senju for the artists who are planning on submitting their artwork!
Photo by Masato Kato
““Art” is the communication of our imagination. “Art” is also the wisdom for people to understand each other. As human being, we laugh when we are happy and cry when we are sad. But as human being, we have our own way of thinking and we have our own opinions. Please submit an artwork that expresses your impression and experience of “Japan” in our multi-cultural city, New York.”
We are also pleased to announce that the Winner and Honorable mention winners will receive Digital Cameras from Nikon Americas Inc as their prize!
Japan Day 2012 gave us an opportunity to have the “Japan Day Art Contest,” which for the first time allowed the public to submit artwork for our official posters, flyers and programs. The Contest was such a success, resulting in so many splendid entries, and yielding such a wonderful, winning illustration, that we intend to make the Contest a regular annual event for years to come.
We are accepting submissions that incorporate the three themes of “ New York,” “Japan,” and “Central Park”. The chosen artwork will become the official image of Japan Day @ Central Park 2013, and will be used for the Official Poster, Program, Flyer and T-shirts. The winner’s award and honorable mentions will be announced by April and will be presented on the day of the event. Please see below for details.
【DEADLINE】NOW Extended till Sunday, March 10th, 2013
- Art must incorporate the themes of “New York”, ”Japan”, and “Central Park”.
- Size must be 24″ tall X 18″ wide.
- Only two-dimensional media is accepted.
- Only one submission per artist will be accepted.
- All entries must be the original work of the entering artist.
- Artwork submitted to previous contests and/or which has been previously shown or published is not eligible.
- Artwork that violates copyrights, intellectual property rights, and/or any related rights of a third party, is not eligible. (For example, the use of anime characters will be a violation of copyrights.)
- Art must not contain explicit sexuality, violence, or any discriminatory elements.
- The final layout and design of the poster, flyer and other publicity materials will be created and approved by Japan Day Inc. Japan Day Inc. will present a preview of the final layout to the artist as a courtesy, but artist’s approval is not required for publication.
- By submitting their artwork, artists grant Japan Day the right to use their work for the purpose of marketing, exhibition and other Japan Day-related uses.
- An artist does not have to live in New York but the chosen artist must be available to accept their award on the day of the event, Sunday, May 12th in Central Park, and must be able to provide their own traveling expenses to come to the award ceremony.
【HOW TO SUBMIT】
Please submit a digital image (JPEG format: 300 pdi or more) of the artwork with an essay (within 500 words) describing the submitted artwork, as well as any notable artistic credits, works and/or awards. Send via e-mail (email@example.com) or mail to the Japan Day Project Liaison Office. (Attn: Japan Day Art Contest / 226 West 47th Street 8FL, New York NY 10036) **Please do not send the original artwork. Japan Day Inc. will not be responsible for the return of the works.
a pair of round-trip Coach Class tickets to Japan provided by Delta Air Lines
Digital Camera provided by Nikon Americas Inc.
Honorable mentions :
Digital Cameras provided by Nikon Americas Inc.
The winner and honorable mentions will be announced in early April.
【JURORS】 (in alphabetical order)
President & CEO, Central Park Conservancy and Central Park Administrator
Ambassador and Consul-General, Consulate General of Japan in New York
(Honorary Chairman of Japan Day Inc.)
David Revere McFadden
William and Mildred Lasdon Chief Curator and Vice President for Collections and Exhibitions,
Museum of Arts and Design
Associate Curator, Department of Painting and Sculpture, The Museum of Modern Art, New York
Hiroshi Senju (★New Juror!)
President of Kyoto University of Art and Design, Artist
President and COO, Toyota Motor North America
(President of Japan Day Inc.)
Veronica M. White
Commissioner, New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
President, Gorgeous Entertainment
(Executive Producer of Japan Day @ Central Park)